We get so serious talking about polyphenols and extra virginity and chemistry sometimes that we forget the fun parts of olive oil! Here are a few you can bring out at your next trivia night!
- 11 pounds of pressed olives produces 1 quart (32 ounces) of EVOO
- Olive Oil is naturally cholesterol, sodium, and carbohydrate free
- All olives start out green and turn black or dark purple as they ripen
- On average, the world consumes 2.25 million tons of olive oil each year.
- Consumption in the US has increased from 30 million gallons to nearly 70 million gallons a year over the last 2 decades.
- California produces 99% of the olive oil produced in the United States.
- Baked goods last longer when made with EVOO instead of butter. Polyphenols contribute to a longer shelf life.
- Average consumption of olive oil varies by country: Greece consumes the most (18kg per year), followed closely by Spain and Italy
- It takes 4 years for an olive tree to bloom. Its flowers are white.
Please follow and like us: